Thursday, February 7, 2008

POINTS TO PONDER

I came across a posting in Malaysia Today taken from AMDE Sidik's Journal. The following para caught my eye:
"Personally, I have nothing against orang Malaya per se. But I am against the injustice, unfairness, discrimination and condescending manner that they have shown to Sabah and Sarawak ever since the formation of Malaysia 44 years ago. It appears that these people are willing to change history, for their own convenience, every year they insist on celebrating 50 years of Malaya independence rather than 44 years of Malaysian independence."
I quite agree with the writer as that sentiment has been expressed to me by other Sabahans. Maybe we in the Peninsula ought to take note when we next celebrate Merdeka - prominence must be given to September 16 (birth of Malaysia) rather than to August 31.
Why do I say that? Well, those of the Merdeka generation are on the way out so to speak. Malaysia is for the post September 16 generation. If we want the present and future generations to be proud of and be loyal to Malaysia then let us emphasize the birth of Malaysia and push August 13 into the pages of our history books. AMDE Sidik also opines that the Peninsula must never treat Sabah and Sarawak as foster children. Lets take note of that too.

No comments: